PLAY NOW
Izay

Pet Threshold

Izay    34

Hey everyone,

lately we received questions about why the bonus droprate you get from your donator status and your XP-Rate
does not affect pet drops.
After a suggestion in the #suggestion section of our Discord server we discussed this topic in a staff meeting

and decided to put this one up for you, the community to discuss.

What is "Pet Threshold" ?

The pet threshold is a Runescape mechanic added to RS3 with the boss pet update in january 2015.
What it does it increase your chance for a pet the more kills of a certain boss you have.
... That is the easy way of explaining it, the more detailed option is as followed:

Note: This is an example. None of these numbers are set in stone and will be changed based of feedback. (If the suggestion is accepted by you guys)

We take Giant Mole as an example, it's pet threshold is 1000 and the baby mole has a dropchance of 1/3000
If a player killed the Giant Mole 1000 times without receiving the pet their threshold is 1.
What that means is from that point on the pet droprate for you is lowered on this boss.
In RS3's case they add 1 to the droprate, meaning that from 1000 kc and beyond your chance for a baby mole is 2/3000 or 1/1500.

If you reach 2000 kills without the pet it will be 3/3000 or 1/1000 and so on.

This threshold is different for every boss on RS3, for example Corp threshold is 500, while the DKS one is 1500, as they are much faster to kill.

We thought this would be a nice addition, as pets are still the "rarest" pvm content to be achieved and this system still requires you to

kill the boss a good amount of time but rewards those who aren't getting lucky early on with a drop but consistenly try to get the pet.

What are your thoughts? Do you want us to add this system to the server?
What would the thresholds be for the bosses? That is something we want you to answer!
Thanks for reading and have fun discussing. 🙂

• Like 3

Dot    4

I believe this will be a perfect addition to players who like to hunt pets. Maybe I’ll see a pet in my name finally. Just in the end if it’s implemented, maybe add a threshold for all bosses somewhere so people know when they hit the threshold. IE (KQ, Cerb, Zulrah, GWD and all)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cringe    1

I like and support this. good suggestion, but i think it should be worked in a way that reflects xp rate and/or donator status. The threshold shouldn't be available the same way to everyone

Edited by Cringe
  • Thanks 1

Izay    34
3 minutes ago, Ex Nihilo said:

I don't like this.

Pets should remain rare 🙂

But they would still remain rare? Maybe we don't add the threshold the way RS3 did and make the "improvements" lower? 

6 minutes ago, Izay said:

But they would still remain rare? Maybe we don't add the threshold the way RS3 did and make the "improvements" lower? 

I just don't like the idea of making them less rare... but then again i'm only one person, the rest of the community seems to like the idea

• Thanks 1

gimp    11

https://oldschoolrsps.com/pvm-hiscore
for anyone thinking this actually changes that much

server has been out nearly 5 months and only a few bosses have someone at 1k+ kc which would be the general threshold to gain increased pet chance

it wont change the amount of pets in really any noticeable way but its so nice for people who want to spend hundreds of hours farming for all pvm pets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lolllllllllll.png

''They did the maff, this is fine.''

Izay    34
27 minutes ago, gimp said:

https://oldschoolrsps.com/pvm-hiscore
for anyone thinking this actually changes that much

server has been out nearly 5 months and only a few bosses have someone at 1k+ kc which would be the general threshold to gain increased pet chance

it wont change the amount of pets in really any noticeable way but its so nice for people who want to spend hundreds of hours farming for all pvm pets

Is this a general "support" for the idea from your side?

gimp    11
Just now, Izay said:

Is this a general "support" for the idea from your side?

yes

• Thanks 2

lolllllllllll.png

''They did the maff, this is fine.''

Pap    6
55 minutes ago, Bald Head said:

I feel like this would ruin the feeling of getting/having a rare boss pet. Not a big fan of the idea. 

I was curious so I checked your boss KC's on the high scores and it's pretty clear you don't boss much. This isn't supposed to only call you out, but I'm assuming the people who are showing opposition are in a similar situation. My guess is that they got really lucky with a low kc boss pet drop, and want to reserve that uniqueness to themselves. 

Putting a pet threshold at 1000 kc doesn't take away from rarity and I don't think half the people who read the thread understood what was meant by this. 

The way I understand it, only after you reach 1000 kc do you have a better chance at getting the pet. Check the high scores, very few 1000 kc bosses....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pap said:

I was curious so I checked your boss KC's on the high scores and it's pretty clear you don't boss much. This isn't supposed to only call you out, but I'm assuming the people who are showing opposition are in a similar situation. My guess is that they got really lucky with a low kc boss pet drop, and want to reserve that uniqueness to themselves. 

Putting a pet threshold at 1000 kc doesn't take away from rarity and I don't think half the people who read the thread understood what was meant by this. 

The way I understand it, only after you reach 1000 kc do you have a better chance at getting the pet. Check the high scores, very few 1000 kc bosses....

My boss killcount is low because I just started playing coming from staff from another server. The point of pets is to be a grind and hard to get. What's the point of lowering the drop rate to make it easier to get? Regardless of how many people get 1k kc I don't think it should get easier. 

• Thanks 1

Pap    6
1 minute ago, Bald Head said:

My boss killcount is low because I just started playing coming from staff from another server. The point of pets is to be a grind and hard to get. What's the point of lowering the drop rate to make it easier to get? Regardless of how many people get 1k kc I don't think it should get easier. 

Are you not considering 1000 kc on a boss a grind? This point doesn't make any sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Izay    34
10 minutes ago, Pap said:

The way you understood it is correct by the way

• Thanks 1

Not A Goat    1

I like this idea. Doesn't take away from rarity imo as there isn't many people with the threshold level boss kc's anyways. Just depends on what those thresholds would be at depending on if you're making them lower due to few people having high kc's or if you're making this change for the grinders.

• Thanks 1

great suggestion, i think people don't realize that the numbers are very flexible, the required KC per threshold, the starting KC for the first threshold, how much impact each threshold has, that aside the system is a great motivator for people who are persistent, it will add consistency to the average rates people get them, and should hopefully reduce the amount of people who go several times over. And as others have said that there's a good chance most players wont ever have a boss KC that even qualifies for even the first threshold, and people who say they want pets to stay very rare don't understand that pets would still be almost exactly the same rarity, most players would never even reach the first threshold and those who do have a better chance at the pet, aslong as they continue to kill the same boss. It's overall a very exciting, motivating, unique to private servers and consistent suggestion, 100% agree, i recommend that this idea be accepted and then further polling on 3 conditions, 1. What is the first KC threshold of each boss and should this threshold be balanced to match each bosses kill times or other varaibles, 2. What are the increments of threshold should the starting threshold be say 3000 KC then additional thresholds are obtained every 1000 KC, 3. How much impact does each threshold add, does this scale linearly,  would it work muplicatively, would a 1-3000 become 1-2700 at the first threshold then that 1-2700 become 1-2430 at threshold 2 or would it be 1-2400 inline with the original kc 10% reduction etc, the numbers are VERY flexible and allow for complete balancing, conceptually amazing full support.

edit: making pet hunting more motivating will keep long term players around longer after they've already done big goals like completing raids and comp cape etc, or people who don't want to skill max as 1x etc but would rather hunt boss pets instead, server longetivity can benefit from an update like this, consider it.

Edited by Amatsukaze24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1