PLAY NOW
Tom

The Present & Future Of OldSchool

Tom    338

Hello everyone,

Today I'm not going to be writing patch notes, but going to give you guys a bit of insight to my way of thinking and the experience of OldSchool from my point of view. This is a long read, so I know some may not read it, but just know that I appreciate all of you for your kindness and support through our ups and downs. Thank you ❤️

Introduction

I’d like to take a moment to state that there have been over 5241 accounts created since launch. Not only that, but there is a playtime sum of 532,716,858 game-ticks - that’s a combined time of over 3699 days played since the release of OSPS! We opened the doors to our community on May 20th, 2020. Welcoming both players from Indova as well as newcomers who have made a name for themselves in the short period we have been public. I am proud to say that the goal of the rebrand was a success. I’ll try to keep this post brief, though I have a lot to say, and may bore you guys, I have no other way to condense my thoughts. I will try to go over our accomplishments, the complications we've had, as well as the goals we have as a team and a bit of my mindset behind-the-scenes.

Accomplishments

The #1 accomplishment on OSPS since day one, for me, has been the community. I’ve felt nothing but love and support (sometimes even through troll comments) from every single one of you throughout launch and until today, even though the “honey-moon” phase is gone at this point. The support you guys give fills me with motivation to keep grinding every day to provide the best for you guys. I sincerely thank you all, not only if you’ve given money to support the server (and for the p2w rng boosts of course), but every single person who’s given me moral support as it’s helped me get through some stress-filled times.

Not only is it the fact that our community has been so supportive, but also that we’ve been one of the top servers since launch. With so many players, toxicity can get out of hand, but you’ve always shown me so much love and respect and I hope to do you all justice and provide a fun server, where you feel heard and appreciated. Speaking of our community and its size, we’ve managed to close the gap to Zenyte, which is a great server backed by an awesome and very knowledgeable team. I am humbled to be in this position and will strive to keep up the work required to maintain and surpass our expectations! #ad

Obstacles

It’s not always pretty though. We’ve had our fair share of complications... One of these being a "memory leak" that would cause the server to shut off every 12-24 hour (this is one of those stress-filled times I was talking about.) I was not able to sleep for more than 4 hours at a time as I had the responsibility of not only restarting the server if something happened, but also refunding items as well as making sure each time I had to restart, there would also be some patch notes so that it didn’t feel like a complete let-down. I’m happy to announce that this has since been fixed and previous to the latest patch, the server was online for almost 5 days without a hiccup!

Sadly, our leak-fix celebration was short-lived, there was still something going on causing the server to disconnect players. As some of you may guess, it was DDoS attacks. Specifically a 3 GBPS botnet attack. We used Amazon Web Services (AWS), which as the name implies, is mainly for web-related services. They have one of the strongest DDoS protection services, however, the service is called “Shield” and costs around 30k/month (lol). After many support tickets, it was deemed to be a bug by them, but this was proven false since shortly after switching to OVH we were once again attacked, except this time it was successfully mitigated. Thanks to OVH all HCI can once again lose their status to a disconnect, but on their own terms.

Future

Now, what do I have in mind for OSPS, and what do I see in our future? Transparency has always been a huge point of focus for me. I try my best to be as transparent as possible. If you have any questions, issues, or suggestions, don’t feel like I’m going to bash you, ban you, or ignore your feedback. This can even be related to how we operate behind the scenes, such as spending, player count modifiers (we don’t have any), how staff decisions are made, etc. By being transparent and not hiding things from everyone who spends dozens, hundreds, even thousands of hours actually playing the server, we can progress a lot further and meet our goals together as a single community.

I know an important part of any server you play is the economy. Though the economy on OSPS is still young (not even 20b has been generated yet), I am still going to be adding some item sinks to help keep the economy active. This includes some items like god whips having an abyssal whip sink, as well as adding an (e) version of the trident that will take things like kraken tentacle and other tridents to create/charge.

Ever since Indova, we’ve been a server that has mainly been PvM-oriented. Though we love this about us, I also acknowledge that not everyone just wants to PvM and Skill all day. This is why we’re going to try and do some PvP related updates. PvP does not only need content additions, but also some priority bug fixes that make it pretty much unbearable at the moment. If you enjoy PvP, I sincerely ask you to bear with us, and if it’s not too much to ask, provide a list of things that need to change to make PvP enjoyable.

Advertisements

As far as advertisement goes, it's sadly rough to try and advertise RSPS these days. A lot of toplists are corrupt and allow vote bots, which I don't respect - this is the reason we only have RuneLocus as a voting site since they're the only ones who actually care about the players and not just money.  There's also not many YouTubers we can hire that will bring a big influx of players.

We are trying new things and experimenting with them. We recently tried Instagram ads, however after a couple days and $150 spent, we noticed that out of 200 clicks, we only managed to get 6 actual registrations, with none of them actually logging in. We deduced it to the fact that we do not have a mobile client, while Instagram users are mainly mobile users (this is dumb on our part to assume otherwise.) We are going to be migrating to FaceBook ads and hopefully see better results from that. Apart from this, I am also looking into possible sponsorships with non-rsps YouTubers (RS streamers/video creators, etc), but don't have anything solid to share as of now. I will try to keep everyone in the know when things solidify.

Conclusion

All in all, I would once again like to thank every single one of you for all your support. I’ve personally had a ton of conversations with most of you and even players who usually troll in-game, I’ve had really nice and insightful conversations with. Our goals are laid out and clear to me, and I hope they are to you now as well. If you do have any questions about anything at all, I will answer with the unfiltered truth. We’ve overcome many obstacles in the short time we’ve been online and I’m sure the worst is behind us, and nothing but the best is ahead of us. Cheers to OldSchool RSPS and to the many adventures we are headed towards!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ksou    3

Very awesome post Tom.

Amazing release with this coming from someone who started in Indova and it's nice to see you motivated again as you are a great owner.

Keep your motivation up and we will be there to accomplish many things with you

Edited by Ksou
  • Like 1

Anthony    5

In all of the server's I've joined and been a part of, you're easily the most approachable and transparent dev/owner I've seen. You deserve tons of respect for taking the time to write this out. This sort of communication is a big part of a healthy future.

Thanks Tom.

• Like 4

Thank You Tom for all your hard work. Thank you for you’re team and the community has grown so much and turned into this wonderful idea and movement during these crazy times we are facing in the world right now. I know you are working you’re butt off to code and give us solid updates and make things so beautiful and amazing quality. So again Thanks it takes dedication and you’re will fullness to do the things you do on a daily are remarkable. I’m glad we have you as our owner because since day one on your first server you created for us your effort has always been 1000%. You work very hard and make things coded flawlessly. I’m glad this server has turned into the beautiful amazing service we have all had hoped for. Please do keep up you’re efforts we as players do see them. We play this game because it gives us an escape from our daily lives and gives us joy and makes us happy. Just know for every 1 line of coding you are doing you’re bringing smiles to all you’re players including my self. I hope you have a great day today Tom. God Bless and Give Spirit. You Can Do This.

• Like 3

DeityDeathPrayer.jpg

Sweaty    1

Thank you, Tom, for being transparent and understanding with us. You have done amazing work, and I believe you will continue with that. I can’t wait to see what the future of OSRSPS holds! 

• Like 1

Iron G    1

Massive respect to you Tom, I've played numerous servers over the last few years and by far (no ass-lick intended) you are the most community involved owner I've ever come accross, very friendly, helpful and enjoy banter in yell when you come online. I've had a couple of problems/changes first starting out and every-time you've efficiently helped me out and for that I am grateful! Keep up the good work mate the server is awesome and I look forward too spending many more hours here! ❤️

• Like 1

Sia    7

Been here since Indova and will be here til the end (hopefully there's not an end).

Awaiting the PvP updates especially, as-well as seeing the direction in which Oldschool will go.

Glad to play a server with a not only determined and dedicated, but also down-to-earth owner.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iron G said:

Massive respect to you Tom, I've played numerous servers over the last few years and by far (no ass-lick intended) you are the most community involved owner I've ever come accross, very friendly, helpful and enjoy banter in yell when you come online. I've had a couple of problems/changes first starting out and every-time you've efficiently helped me out and for that I am grateful! Keep up the good work mate the server is awesome and I look forward too spending many more hours here! ❤️

simp

• Haha 1

15823_827498310605843_5978076631382810076_n.jpg

Numbuh Five    2

Love it. Thank you being an awesome owner and helping the community. I've played a lot of the big rsps's before this, but by far I've had the most fun on this one. Some have been fun I'm not gonna say they weren't, but this one has been the best. I love how there are custom bis items and also love the fact they are not insanely op and broken, and that there aren't 5000 diff uniques. Keep up the good work :D

• Like 1

Pomo    1

I love the transparency you have as an owner, it is something that is unseen anywhere else. I love the server and the community it has created. I appreciate what you have done and look forward to reading futures updates and changes!